Purpose of the Day and Need for Action
We need to raise public awareness about the malfeasance, the negligence, purposeful distortion of the facts, and gross underfunding of research. Advocates for diseases have the challenge of raising awareness about the plight of their patients in order to educate the public and to raise much-needed funds for research and aid. Advocates for misunderstood and neglected diseases, such as the CIND diseases, have an added urgency to educate because of all the obfuscation and government health agency malfeasance impeding proper diagnoses, treatment, and a possible cure.
May 12th Awareness Day is designed to increase public awareness of Fibromyalgia (FM), Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS), Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) and chronic pain illnesses – all chronic, yet often overlooked, conditions – as well as to assist patients, patient support groups and organizations in educating the general public, healthcare professionals, government officials and legislative bodies.
What can you do to help?
There are many things you can do to help raise awareness for fibromyalgia and they include:
- Learn about fibromyalgia and help spread the awareness with all of your friends, family, medical community and politicians, either in person, by blogging about it, or via your social media platform(s). If all sufferers educate themselves first, and then others, awareness will increase. As awareness increases, resources and research are more likely to follow.
- Support those who have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia
- Become a member of Fibromyalgia Association Canada (FAC) – free for people with fibromyalgia
- Become a FAC volunteer
- Follow and share Fibromyalgia Association Canada (FAC); website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and LinkedIn
- If you can afford it, please, donate to support Fibromyalgia Association Canada (FAC)
- Wear purple: whether it’s a t-shirt, a hat, or even a bracelet, etc., not to draw attention to yourself, but to spark a conversation about what fibromyalgia is
- You could share your story with others, to help them understand what your life is like because of fibromyalgia. Share the symptoms and the struggles. Post a condensed version on social media, letting people know your goal is to raise awareness. You could also have it published on our Fibromyalgia Patient Stories page
- Use #FibromyalgiaAwarenessDay, #FMAwarenessDay, #FibromyalgiaAssociationCanada, #FAC, or any other hashtags related to #fibromyalgia to post on social media
- Think Purple: Dress up your front door or window in purple, make posters with info about fibromyalgia
- Illuminate your house, apartment, or even your business in purple
- Take a selfie, or have someone take your photo, at one, or more, of the Illumination sites and share it
- Have a yard sale or garage sale (perhaps involve your neighbors for a street wide one) to raise money and awareness. Let people know where you will be donating the money you raise.
- Let your imagination and creativity go wild
Whatever you decide to do in order to make your impact for those suffering from fibromyalgia, every little bit helps get the word out there and helps those who suffer from this horrendous chronic condition.
If you need to know why spreading awareness of FM, ME/CFS, MCS and related conditions is important, you only need to have a look at the Statistics. (National ME/FM Action Network’s Quest, Spring-Summer 2009)– downloadable PDF